Hi Guest - won't you sign up - like now? You'll get "early member" perks, ratings, free for sale adds, store discount codes and of course access to all the hidden stuff that status begets..

Recent threads from jpfwatch
ThreadsDateReplies
Citizen Cosmotron 7800-870002-04-2018, 12:04 PM6
Twin Quartz Seiko Grand Quartz 9943-803001-26-2018, 04:30 PM5
Quartz with metal bracelets08-12-2017, 12:39 PM4
Stowa Partitio08-12-2017, 12:09 PM0
Stowa Partitio08-12-2017, 12:09 PM2
Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4 Average

[-]
Tags
watches returned expected from watchmaker

Expected watches (returned from watchmaker)
I expect the following watches back from my watchmaker in the second week of july.
Movement pictures only for now.   Tongue 

Updated the post with the movement from a King Seiko 5246-6000:

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jpfwatch for this post:
  • Oompaloompa
Yeah, they are worth it are they not? I am always curious if all these vintage Seiko's will put up with another 40 or 50 years... (of course they will).
Adminishing the #$@ out of it
Hey JP, who might be your watchmaker? It seems you are satisfied with him as a lot of your watches have been serviced right?
39 jewels for the seikomatic! Wow, that's a lot - I am just wondering now what would be the most ever used in a watch? Anyone?
Highest jewel count is somewhere close to 100 (googled it)...
El Jefe like it...
My watchmaker is Richard Askham.
This is his website: http://thewatchspotblog.com/
Servicing is 135 euro. For simple handwind watches (17 jewels) it is 115 euro.
He does a great job.
He is located in Great Britain but it is possible to send the watches to an address in the Netherlands.
That definitely seems worth checking out. Thanks.
Better response on post RE: Expected watches (returned from watchmaker)I just received the watches:

Now that is a nice group of King Seikos! Great photo JPF. I do like those lugs on the 44999 a lot.
I just got news from my watchmaker.
I send him the following watches:

Seiko one pusher chrono 5717-8990
https://www.watchiwant.com/showthread.php?tid=109

Seikomatic 6218-8970
https://www.watchiwant.com/showthread.php?tid=173

Seiko Sportsmatic 6619-8190
https://www.watchiwant.com/showthread.php?tid=126

His comments on the watches:
The services for the 6619 and 6218 were straight forward and the 5717 had a broken mainspring as you noted so that needed to be replaced, but other than that no hidden surprises. I also replaced the caseback and crown gaskets in the 6619 and 6218 and the caseback gasket on the 5717 (the crown gasket is built into the crown and can't be replaced). I've attached pictures of all three movements for your records, as you'll see they are all in excellent condition.
All three watches are now on test winders so if everything goes according to plan they should be ready for return some time next week.

When I receive the watches I will take some pictures.
For now some pictures of the movements:

Seiko one pusher chrono 5717-8990

Seikomatic 6218-8970

Seiko Sportsmatic 6619-8190

Seikomatic 6218-8970

Seikomatic 6218-8970
Nice watches, you sent them to England again right? Would you say the watchmaker has a preference in your book as compared to a Dutch watchmaker?
A fine collection right there! I would love to see a more recent shot of all those watches - heads only worked great for me. If it isn't too much trouble of course :grin: I would think you have a table full at the moment...
You know, I do like that "headshot", it gives you room to imagine any particular strap on it....
(03-09-2018, 12:55 PM)Collectionist Wrote: Nice watches, you sent them to England again right? Would you say the watchmaker has a preference in your book as compared to a Dutch watchmaker?

I don't have a preference. It is more a case of trusting this watchmaker.
The watchmaker works in England but is often in the Netherlands. I can send my watches to an address in the Netherlands.

I did use the dutch watchmaker Jan Ubels to repair and polish my Seiko Grand Quartz 9943-8030.
He did a great job. I definitely will use him in the future for my quartz watches and maybe for my mechanical watches.
I have to say his communication leaves something to be desired.

They both have disadvantage: you have to be really patient...
Hmmm.. Thanks for the reply. And yes, watch collecting is a patient enterprise and never-ending!

I will start with Jan Ubels...
finally received the watches:

Wow, that is a great collection of watches and each with their unique design features... love that.