Hi Guest - won't you sign up - like now? You'll get "early member" perks, ratings, free for sale adds, store discount codes and of course access to all the hidden stuff that status begets..

Recent threads from WisWatcher
ThreadsDateReplies
Grand Seiko SGBA011 Snowflake11-03-2017, 12:57 PM0
On the Ball10-21-2017, 06:19 PM7
Seiko Mount Fuji Limited Edition08-17-2017, 05:55 PM2
Seiko Lord Matic 5606 - The one flaw within07-29-2017, 12:45 PM4
Seiko Lord Matic 5606 - The one flaw within07-29-2017, 12:45 PM4
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
special padi diver the edition dive turtle seiko thread

Picture heavy The Seiko Turtle Thread
Better response on post The Seiko Turtle ThreadTime for Seiko Turtles gentlemen, such great watches. I own the Padi Turtle SRPA021, the special edition. It is extremely comfortable for it size, that is, the case, but the steel bracelet not so I am sorry to say. It cuts into my wrist because Seiko did not really put a good bevel on it - it is sharp!
So, after trying the Seiko rubber Z22, which makes the entire ensemble feel like the Nimitz aircraft carrier, I switch to a supple calf strap. I presume it will withstand the occasional splash of water all right. If not, its just 20 USD, I can't go wrong. 
So now it really fits my wrist - comfortably - which is important to me, sometimes even as if it is not there at all. And that is saying something about a dive watch...

And oh, maybe you would like to see it move?

[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to WisWatcher for this post:
  • Collectionist, UrbanWatch
It is unusual to have a leather strap on a Turtle, but hey - to each his own.
Well it's not as if many of us actually get these turtles wet, do we now gents?
Another Turtle that never gets wet.

On a GasGasBones strap:

On a Bark Heuerville strap:

And ready to dive with a grey rubber strap:

That's some buckle on the Gashasbones! It looks as big as the watch lol. Matter of perspective eh?
I am liking that Heuerville a lot. Must be expensive no?
Adminishing the #$@ out of it
Nothing wrong with leather straps I think. A watch is just a watch and not many of us immerse our watch in water for any period of time. A leather strap can take much more than you think anyway.

And when you get under water just pray you don't meet real turtles... 

(06-08-2017, 06:04 PM)Collectionist Wrote: I am liking that Heuerville a lot. Must be expensive no?

yeah 85 pounds but handmade... Dodgy
Is the Turtle 22 or 24mm lugs? I am thinking you gents might try for the Anchorstrap give away?
(06-08-2017, 08:26 PM)WatchKhal Wrote: Is the Turtle 22 or 24mm lugs? I am thinking you gents might try for the Anchorstrap give away?

It is 22mm ... 24 is more like Panerai.

Adminishing the #$@ out of it
A Seiko turtle SRP777 in excellent condition. I wore it a few times. The watch was bought in the first half of 2016.
It has the original Seiko rubber strap.

Movement 4r36
Case 45 mm
Thickness 14 mm
Lug width 22 mm
Weight 122 gram
WR 200 meter

Better response on post The Seiko Turtle ThreadNice Turtle pictures. Still I like this one best..

(08-02-2017, 10:45 AM)Bazooka Wrote: Nice Turtle pictures. Still I like this one best..

Agreed, but they don't make them like that any more - expect to pay about a 1000 for this watch.

Let's not forget the SKX series if we talk about war watches. The general wore them: "I always wore two watches during the [Gulf] war. The one on my left arm was set on Saudi Arabian time and the Seiko on my right arm was set on Eastern Standard Time. That way I could quickly glance at my watches and instantly know the time in both Saudi Arabia and Washington, D.C. Sincerely, H. Norman Schwarzkopf General, U.S. Army, Retired."

The watch was a Seiko SKX009 diver - the poor relative to the turtle - and was on his wrist for at least the entirety of the early 1990s Gulf War. According to the letter and many images from the time, General Norman Schwarzkopf indeed "double wristed it" with a watch on each wrist. That watch sold for 11.000 USD at auction, incidentally. So yeah, the lowly skx can reach for the stars...

And the other wrist? Just a Rolex.

Better response on post The Seiko Turtle ThreadI just got one turtle and I must say it is a great beater watch, the even satin finishing reminds me of a simple tool. The absence of sharp edges makes it really "ding" proof. The dive bezel is just great to turn and time. The crown easily gripped and unscrewed. The bezel protects the inlay perfectly with its raised outer edge.. Simply superb! Never selling it.
Better than the SKX009 - even though I have got that one too.. The turtle is less top heavy because it is not as narrow, it sits like a (small) dinner plate on your wrist.
(05-25-2017, 09:34 AM)WisWatcher Wrote: Time for Seiko Turtles gentlemen, such great watches. I own the Padi Turtle SRPA021, the special edition. It is extremely comfortable for it size, that is, the case, but the steel bracelet not so I am sorry to say. It cuts into my wrist because Seiko did not really put a good bevel on it - it is sharp!
So, after trying the Seiko rubber Z22, which makes the entire ensemble feel like the Nimitz aircraft carrier, I switch to a supple calf strap. I presume it will withstand the occasional splash of water all right. If not, its just 20 USD, I can't go wrong. 
So now it really fits my wrist - comfortably - which is important to me, sometimes even as if it is not there at all. And that is saying something about a dive watch...

Don't forget that some of the proceeds from PADI watch will go towards the organization that educates general public and divers about preservation of reefs and ocean life in general. I am getting this watch because I learned to dive with PADI 16 years ago, and my majority of life was spend by the water or in the water.
Bought a PADI Turtle today.. It is my first Seiko watch (I have wanted one for about a year) I popped in to a store today with my wife to window shop when I saw the PADI Turtle sitting there WITH a 20% discount and had only arrived in the store the day before, my wife pushed me to buy it as I have wanted one for a long time.

After making the purchase the Jeweler took it in the back to resize the band for me.. A whole hour later it was ready, 10 minutes after getting home it fell off my wrist and onto the couch (band was broken, pin had come out) I took it back to the Jeweler who apologized and fixed it, 10 steps out of the store the pin fell out again. The watch has now been sent away for repair as the Jeweler had managed to damage/lose something and did not have a spare part.. I now have to wait a week until I get it back. For the hour that I had it, it was great!

Anyway, I am interested in getting a mesh band in the future for it anyway.. I would appreciate any recommendations on where I can get a really good quality mesh strap that will fit the PADI Turtle. THANKS!
(08-03-2017, 08:09 PM)Alfaman Wrote: Better than the SKX009 - even though I have got that one too.. The turtle is less top heavy because it is not as narrow, it sits like a (small) dinner plate on your wrist.

It is... and the bezel action is vastly improved over the SKX series.
This Seiko Zimbe SRPA19 does look great on photos, it really does. But, I have been collecting watches for a while and always I have sold off those watches that did not offer enough contrast to my liking. A watch should be legible at least - in natural light - it should offer an interesting view from afar. The Turtle can do that, but not all Turtles. Sadly the Zimbe is one of them - and that for a price tag of 800+ USD? Even the Padi Turtle, which does tick all the aforementioned boxes was around 400 USD when it launched. And now it is...?

Anyway, here are some pictures so that you can decide for yourself.

The Seiko Turtle SRPB11 is another special Turtle, nicknamed "Blue Lagoon" (You remember that hot and sweaty movie right?) Well, it belongs to the Thai market, where all colors seem to be possible.

Of course, all bracelets also seem to be possible - at least over here at Strapcode.

Well, I am on fire - have you ever seen the Seiko Turtle Batman SRP787?

And then you get into the strapcode bracelets..., because as I said the original one is not that good. Here is a review on some of those bracelets..