Hi Guest - won't you sign up - like now? You'll get "early member" perks, ratings, free for sale adds, store discount codes and of course access to all the hidden stuff that status begets..

Recent threads from OldMcDonalds
ThreadsDateReplies
The ultimate tritium watch: Nite Icon08-30-2017, 06:01 PM1
Leather Strap Bargains08-19-2017, 08:00 PM24
The ultimate tritium watch: Carnival08-18-2017, 04:27 PM2
Carnival08-18-2017, 04:27 PM2
Citizen Adds08-18-2017, 02:33 PM0
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[-]
Tags
field classification watch

Field watch classification
Military is a hype
Better response on post Field watch classificationThe Field Watch is usually presented with a slim case, with large, easy to read indices. The thinness keeps the watch from snagging on other gear and will easily tuck under a shirt sleeve. Commonly seen with 12 and 24 hour numeral markings, these watches make telling time an effortless task. And yes, they are also used by the military. But let us not call them military shall we, as soldiers also use Divers, Aviators (or Fliegers - sounds cooler) or any other tool watch that men usually go for.
The signature mark of a Flieger is the triangle at the 12 o'clock mark. These watches have large faces and are reminiscent of WWII aircraft gauges that they are inspired by. Also known as “observation watches,” these timepieces make it easy to keep track of time elapsed whether you’re in the air or on the ground.
When you need a timer, calendar, stop watch, alarms, and more on your wrist, there are few better options than a heavy duty digital watch. Shockproof, waterproof, and nearly bombproof, these watches are seen in the field in modern military applications.

One field watch I like, and which is cheap to boot is the Seiko SNE331. One of the key features of this military watch of course is legibility, and this solar (!) from Seiko does it well. The SNE331's large, stenciled numerals dominate the otherwise clean dial with a rugged, no-frills look. Luminescent sword hands and indices pop against the roomy, blacked-out 43mm stainless steel case. It’s solar powered for longevity in the field to keep its Japanese kinetic quartz movement going. Other features like a hardlex crystal window, day/date window, 100m water resistance and a buckled nylon strap make this watch an excellent daily driver if you like to do it big.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to OldMcDonalds for this post:
  • D'ohBoy, Mauvais, Retrojack, Todostudor

I tend the agree with the classification. But let us get off the Seiko horse now. There is a Citizen Eco Drive Military Watch:

Blending both the Field and Flieger style watches into one package, the Citizen BM8180-03 achieves a distinct military look. Sporting a mineral glass crystal and stainless steel case for durability, the watch can stand up to daily wear. Better yet, its Eco-Drive charging feature makes for low maintenance upkeep as you won’t have to change its battery. For extra utility, the timepiece is waterproof to 100M — meaning you can shower and swim without taking the watch off. The day-date display, large luminous hands, and hour/minute indices are easy to read at a glance.
In my book this one qualifies too: Right here under radio controlled watches
The difference between Aviator and Field watch is down to some very specific complications, compass being one of them.
Yeah, the plane has a big ass compass right in front of you so no need right? The altimeter though...

The Seiko Sport SBEB003 Alpinist solar Digital Altimeter Barometer Compass therefore is a bit of a strange one in the field watch line up. It is for sale on ebay here.

(08-11-2017, 05:33 PM)Onthetown Wrote: Yeah, the plane has a big ass compass right in front of you so no need right? The altimeter though...

The Seiko Sport SBEB003 Alpinist SOLAR Digital Altimeter Barometer Compass therefore is a bit of a strange one in the field watch line up. It is for sale on ebay here.

What a monster... I hate those wrist computers.
(08-15-2017, 12:06 PM)LtDan Wrote:
(08-11-2017, 05:33 PM)Onthetown Wrote: Yeah, the plane has a big ass compass right in front of you so no need right? The altimeter though...

The Seiko Sport SBEB003 Alpinist SOLAR Digital Altimeter Barometer Compass therefore is a bit of a strange one in the field watch line up. It is for sale on ebay here.

What a monster... I hate those wrist computers.

Agreeing with you there, there is no sense of craftsmanship. It is just put together by a machine.. Yeah, let us do a plastic watch...
Any field watch in my book needs to be quartz, solar and radio at least... Check out the Citizen forum, seen 'em there.
Yes, ultimate reliability for the extended field trip...
(08-15-2017, 12:12 PM)LondonBoy Wrote: Any field watch in my book needs to be quartz, solar and radio at least... Check out the Citizen forum, seen 'em there.

Good point made there... Such a watch is definitely on my list. If I don't buy all these vintages first..
This a lazy way to get into a discussion - using the Last Posts scroll bar here lol. Just stare and click. Now what was I thinking? Oh yes: "Good talk", yes "Good talk"..

There you go: the ultimate field watch, check out this Citizen right here (on this forum). Just slap a nice leather or nato on it and you are the guy.
Better response on post Field watch classificationI am always wondering why a field watch needs to have numbers. Are we too stupid to tell the time otherwise? I get it that the military have them...
(08-15-2017, 02:10 PM)Aevig Wrote: I am always wondering why a field watch needs to have numbers. Are we too stupid to tell the time otherwise? I get it that the military have them...

Actually, they need to tell the time hanging upside down from their parachute or after a good fight when they are a bit out of it. You need numbers then. Your number might be up too, right?
Hmmm... Field watch eh? That could be a farmer too or a banana-picker. Yep, give them an Alpinist! Shall we get real now?
Of course, as stated previously, you only need sapphire, solar, radio, quartz, bezel turning, screw in crown, tritium...
(08-15-2017, 02:15 PM)Docrollieday Wrote: Of course, as stated previously, you only need sapphire, solar, radio, quartz, bezel turning, screw in crown, tritium...

Yes! Tritium is always played down compared to other lume. It is always better imho.
D'oh!
Field watch is not the same as military. I think we established that here. As long as they use G-Shocks...
(08-15-2017, 02:23 PM)D\ohBoy Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 02:15 PM)Docrollieday Wrote: Of course, as stated previously, you only need sapphire, solar, radio, quartz, bezel turning, screw in crown, tritium...

Yes! Tritium is always played down compared to other lume. It is always better imho.

Good point here... can we find such a watch? I think some have it all except for the tritium..
I think a Ball Aviator will do?

Here you go, this one is from the Aviator forum...

Damn fine watch - large though. But that is to be expected from an aviator.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Picture heavy Show your field & military watch Americandad 3 3,413 10-16-2017, 10:08 PM
Last Post: Harry